Leaves, Leaves, Everywhere!

This week we have been learning all about leaves. Today we went outside and searched our school grounds to find different types of leaves. We brought our finds back to the classroom and made leaf rubbings to add to our science duotangs. We labeled our rubbings with the leaf type (simple of compound), the blade shape, and the type of edge. Some of the leaves were pretty tricky to classify!

See if you can identify some of the different leaf shapes (e.g. oblong, oval, lance, spatula, diamond) and edges (e.g. lobed, scalloped, toothed, serrated) that we found in these pictures.

5 thoughts on “Leaves, Leaves, Everywhere!

1. Your animoto brought back memories for me from long ago. Down the years young children have learnt about nature, perhaps for a while we lost touch with that type of learning. It is good to see that you are still right there doing and learning things that are so important. I remember I liked identifying things, all serrated and smooth edge comparison things. If it’s Mrs Watson’s class then there will be art in there somewhere, is it art on Friday?
    I actually see your area every day, as your postcard is on our display, it shows the habour.
    It is always a pleasure to pass by.

Mr E
    Hawes
    England

• Dear Mr.E
      Thanks for leaving our class a comment.

It good that children learnt about nature. Each of us in the class have about 1, 2, or 3 partners.

Yesterday we learned about seeds. I learned a lot about seeds. It is a great thing to learned about nature.

Talk to you soon
      From,
      Jenny in Mrs W’s 2/3 class

2. Dear Mrs. Watson and 2/3’s,

It is cool that you got to do leaf rubbings. I haven’t done rubbings before, but I have made a tracing. How long did it take you to find the leaves? What was your favorite leaf shape that you found? Were there any interesting colors you found? What means the most to me is grouping your leaves by things that are the same. I hope you make another slideshow.

Your buddies,
    Victoria and Mrs. Moore

3. Dear Mrs. Moore,

It took about 15 mins. Quang`s favourite leaf is the egg shaped and my favourite leaf was the egg shaped too. The colours were green and greenish yellowish. Have you done leaf rubbings? If you put the leaf under the paper and get a crayon put it on it`s side then start to rub you will see the shape of the leaf. Have you ever went leaf hunting?

Your buddies,
    Lily and Quang in Mrs. Watson`s 2/3 class