Bridge Building

This afternoon we took what we have learned about structures and started to build our own bridges. We have learned about joints, how to strengthen materials, forces (compression/pushing and tension/pulling), what shapes are the strongest, and different types of bridges (beam, truss, arch, and suspension).

Groups could follow a set of plans for a truss style bridge or they could try to come up with their own design.

We will continue to work on our bridges next week. We are looking forward to seeing how strong they will be!

What types of bridges have you been on before?
Have you ever built a bridge?

7 thoughts on “Bridge Building

1. Dear Mrs.watson and class,
    I think it was cool billding the brdgise. I think it was so fun! Do you think it was so fun.

From your class
    mate Merissa

P.s I like 5he pictures you took Mrs.Watson.

2. Dear Mrs Watson,
    I have never built any bridges before. Those were some cool pictures. It looked like the kids really enjoyed it. I have been on the Sagamore Bridge which is in Boston MA and the Skyway bridge which is in Florida FL. Enjoy your day!

Sincerely,
    Natalie S.
    http://infinatalie.edublogs.org

3. Dear Mrs Watson and Class,
    How fantastic to have such a practical lesson to learn about structures. I love bridges, and our class was fascinated by them on our visit to London last week, we crossed the river Thames 4 times on 4 different bridges! Our favourite was Tower Bridge, which can lift up in the middle to let large ships pass through. Closer to home, my favourite bridge is a suspension bridge which is just for walkers, not vehicles. It wobbles as you cross over it, making it feel exciting and dangerous! three years ago it was washed away in floods, but fortunately it has been rebuilt. I hope that your bridges are strong and don’t collapse or wash away when tested!
    Your friend,
    Mrs Monaghan

4. Dear Mrs Watson and Class,

What an exciting project you got to work on. We are going to ask our teacher if we can have a go at learning about bridges and building them. Because we live in a small town in New Zealand, we don’t get to see or go on many big bridges. Ours are mostly one lane bridges over a creek.
    You look like you have a lot of fun in your classroom.

From Room P, Turaki School, Taumarunui, New Zealand
    P.S. Check out our blog! http://roompturaki.blogspot.co.nz/

5. Dear Mrs Watson,

Making those structers looks like a lot fun. I like when I’m in class and we do fun things like that. Once when I was in class and all my class members got into groups and we had to make a bridge from one table to the other table. We could only use certain things like pencils, a ruler, clay, and a cretain amount of tape. It was a lot of fun.

From,
    Lauryn
    Techie Kids

6. Dear Class
    I loved making bridges I can’t wait till there done.
    Do you guys like making bridges. I love bridges.
    Your Classmate
    Jacob

7. Dear Mrs. Watson and the K/1/2/3 class,

Cool! we made bridges too not that long ago! We made them with masking tape and news paper. We tested all of our bridges by putting hot wheel cars on them one at a time. We each had a partner. My partner was Madision. Our bridge held all of the cars but it started to rip after we put them all on. It was very fun. We have been learning a lot about stable structures. We used mini marshmellos and raw spaghetti to make a cube of some sort.

Keep on going!
    Your old friend,
    Oceana