A Visit From the Fire Department

As part of Fire Prevention Week we had a visit from our Volunteer Fire Department on Thursday.

We started by having a fire drill. The students did a wonderful job of exiting the building quickly and calmly. The fire department said that we did a great job!

Next, two of the firemen, Clement and Ken, visited our classroom and talked to us about fire safety. We also got to see the gear the firemen wear and talk about the purpose of each piece. One of our favourite parts was practicing, STOP, DROP, and ROLL.

Finally, we got a chance to go outside and visit the firetruck. Jake, Grant, Emma, and Yvonne gave us a tour of the truck and showed us all the special equipment they have on the truck.

We think our Volunteer Firefighters are pretty fantastic!

Did your school or community celebrate Fire Prevention Week? What sort of activities did you do?  

Do you have a fire safety tip you would like to share?

9 thoughts on “A Visit From the Fire Department

1. Dear Mrs. Watson and 2/3’s,

We saw your videos and thought they were interesting. The fire truck was huge! Sydney shared that she went on a fire truck too with her Girl Scout troop. In fact, most of us have been on a fire truck. We thought the steering wheel was very large.

We agree that it is important to practice being safe. Stop, drop and roll is something that we practice too. There are other ways that we also practice being safe. We think you should never talk to strangers. When firefighters came to our school, our teacher tried on the firefighter suit. Did Mrs. Watson try on the suit too?

Here are some of our safety tips:
    Never play with fire.
    If a door is hot, do not open it.
    Do not play with lighters or matches.
    Don’t play with lit candles.

Your blog buddies,
    The Techie Kids and Mrs. Moore

2. Dear Class,
    I liked the firetruck, Tools,Inside the firetruck. I loved fire Pervention week.
    Don’t play with candles!
    from,
    Solomon

3. Dear Class
    I loved that day. It was fun ispeshly the STOP DROP and ROLL. At the fire hall I saw Sparcy the Fire Dog.

From,
    Lily

4. Dear Mrs. Moore and the Techie Kids,

Thank you for the extraordinarily safe comment. Mrs. Watson did not try on the fire suit. We wonder how hot Mrs. Moore got in the suit. Did you get a picture of Mrs. Moore in the suit? We’d love to see it!

Thanks for your awesome safety tips. We think they are great!

Stay safe!
    Mrs. W and the 2/3s

• Dear Mrs. Watson and the 2/3’s,

Our classroom teacher is the one who tried on the firefighter suit. Mrs. Moore has not ever tried one on. I bet it would look pretty funny, although some of the Techie Kids said they think it would look stunning!

Stay safe,
      The Techie Kids and Mrs. Moore

5. Dear Class,
    When I went to the fire hall I saw Sparky. When the fire fighters came to our class the bellacaver was the coolest thing besides the firetruck.
    Your friend,
    Lily

• Dear Lily,
      The Fire Hall Open House sounded like a lot of fun. I had to miss it because I had company and it was Sierra’s third birthday party. I did really enjoy the visit at the school though.

See you tomorrow,
      Mrs. W