We Have Word Work Lift Off!

The grade 2/3’s have had a lot of fun learning all the different Word Work choices over the last couple weeks and today we were ready to launch Word Work as a part of our Daily 5. After two practice sessions we built our stamina up to an amazing 9 minutes.

During Word Work the students are practicing word wall words and their personal spelling words. They get a chance to challenge their personal word lists each week. If they can spell their words correctly they get to add new words to their personal lists for the next week. Any words that are still tricky are carried over for another week of practice.

We definitely love Word Work!

19 thoughts on “We Have Word Work Lift Off!

1. Dear Mrs W,
    You should go to the Guinness Book of Records for the world’s quietest classroom, or maybe the best resourced? Your class area looks great, I love the sofas. The children are obviously engaged completely in their challenge. my big news is I am going to run an ‘art club’ for six weeks! Your children inspired me last year… trouble is I can’t draw or paint!

Are you approaching autumn now? I bet it looks beautiful where you are.

Best wishes
    Mr E
    Hawes

2. Dear Mr. E,
    We were so excited to see a comment from you! We are really proud of our classroom and love that we have all this cool stuff. We like working on the sofa (we call it a couch). It is very squishy.

An art club is a really good idea. The students wish that we had one of those too. We thought it was funny that you said that you can’t draw or paint…all you have to do is try your best! 🙂 Some students suggested non-objective art, looking at art blogs, using shapes to draw objects, free art, and just experimenting. We know you will be awesome and we can’t wait to see pictures on your blog!

By the way, how was your summer?

Your friends,
    Mrs. W and the 2/3s

3. wow, I can’t wait to show my 1st graders what word work should look like and sound like! I can tell the students are very urgent about learning more about words and they are such hard workers! Keep it up, we will be revisiting to learn more from your class!

Miss Hiracheta
    First Grade teacher

• Dear Miss Hiracheta,
      Thank you so much for visiting our blog and for leaving us such a nice comment. We felt really proud when you said you could tell how urgent we were about learning. Do your first grades have a favourite Word Work choice?

Mrs. W and the 2/3s

4. Dear Mrs. Watson,
    Your class is so engaged in their learning with your creative and interactive ways to practice spelling! From Wikki Stikks to the Interactive Whiteboard, you have found a method that reaches every learning style! When I taught we used some of these methods, although the IWB wasn’t available then. Another favorite was the regular whiteboard and chalkboard. I had individual ones for the students to use too!
    This practice will help them become awesome readers! Did you see the Fry Phrases on Mrs. Kistler’s blog? She has slideshows of words to learn! I’d never seen that before!
    From,
    Mrs. Hembree

• Dear Mrs. Hembree,
      Thank you for the wonderful comment.
      Do you think it is cool now that we have better technology?

Best wishes,
      Kennedy.

5. Dear Mrs W and 2/3,

We looked at your video and were so surprised about how well you were all working. You were so quiet and we could see you were all concentrating very hard. We are trying to be more like this when we are working independently. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. We will be checking to see what else we can learn from you.

Bye for now,

From Miss Spink and P, 1, 2 at Aitken Creek Primary in Melbourne, Australia.

• Dear Miss Spink and P, 1, 2,
      Thank you for visiting our blog and for the nice compliments. We thought it was interesting that you have more than one grade in your class too? Is your school a small school like ours is? We only have 50 students in our school in grades kindergarten to grade 7. We will have to visit your blog too!

From,
      Mrs. W and the 2/3s

• Thank you for replying. Our school is a new school which only opened at the beginning of this year. We have 86 students but next year we will probably have double that. It is very exciting to be apart of a growing school. We have students at our school from Prep to Grade 6. We really like your blog.

We have a class website, not a blog which means you can’t leave comments. https://sites.google.com/site/acpsprep12/ If you would like to email us you can at spink.rebecca.a@edumail.vic.gov.au. Miss Spink said she will definitely use a blog next year.

Thanks again for replying,

Miss Spink and P,1,2 A

6. Dear Mrs. Watson and class,

Hello! We are brand new Techie Kids from Michigan, USA. Our class is a combined second and third grade class too. We are just starting to learn about blogging. When we read your post, we didn’t know what the Daily 5 was, but we think it’s about words. We liked how everyone was using Wikki Stix to make words, We really liked how your classroom looked when we watched your video. Some of us were very excited and said:

“iPad’s?! Wow!”

“A couch in a classroom?!”

“I want to go to that class!”

“Lucky!”

“I love that class!”

We are all very excited to learn more about you. This class meets on Friday’s. We will send you another message soon.

From,

Mrs. Moore and the Techie Kids

• Dear Mrs Moore and the Techie Kids,
      We loved your comment. It was emense, thank you to the Techie Kids. Do you have Ipads or A couch? Maybe we could Skype with you sometime. I have never Skyped before!

Your new friend,

Lily

• Dear Lily,

Thank you for leaving us a message! No, we do not have iPad’s in our classroom, but Mrs. Moore will be bringing in 2 iPod’s for us to use later on. We do not have a couch in our classroom, but some classes do. Every room is different because every teacher is different. We read on a soft carpet area. We would love to Skype with you soon! 10 of us have used Skype before 13 of us have not.

Your friends,
        The Techie Kids and Mrs. Moore

7. I love my class especially my teacher Mrs. Watson.I like word work liftoff it was fun. We got to nine minutes, it made me excited.

Yours affectionately Lily at Tarkanen Marine Ways

• Dear Lily,
      I was so excited to see that you had left a comment on our blog! I think I am a pretty lucky teacher to have all of you as my students. I love our class too!

Word Work is one of my favourite rounds. I really like that everyone is able to work on words that will help them to become better readers, writers, and spellers. I also think it is nice that there are so many different choices for practicing.

See you tomorrow!
      Mrs. W

8. Dear Ms.Watson and 2s/3s

Your classroom is so cool looking! I wish I was in your class. But I live in Michigan USA.I want to have a couch in Ms. Moores class room and ipads!

Your new friend Jada

• Dear Jada,
      Thank you so much for leaving us such a nice comment. I hope that our classes will be able to Skype soon so that we can get to know all of you better. We think the Techie Kids are pretty fantastic!

Your friend,
      Mrs. W

9. Dear class,
    I like doing word work. My favorite thing in word work is the smart bord,then chock bord. I love word work!!!

From,
    Bradley

10. Dear class:

This is Sharon. I love doing the daily 5’s and it is fun to check the blog from home . I did good at the dentist today but I missed being at school with you guys.

see you tomorrow!!

Sharon

• Dear Sharon,
      I am so glad that everything went well at the dentist and boy was I excited to see a comment from you on the blog! Did they clean your teeth? I always love how sparkly my teeth are after a visit to the dentist.

We sure missed you today! I can’t wait to see you tomorrow.
      Mrs. W 🙂