Geometry Fun

In math we have been studying 2D shapes and 3D solids. This week we had fun building skeletons for different prisms and pyramids. We had to work in teams and decide how many edges and vertices each solid had so that we would know how many straws and balls of clay we would need.

Which solids were the easiest to build? Which were the most challenging?

Did any of the solids have the same number of vertices and edges?

2 thoughts on “Geometry Fun

1. Formidable maths! Love this type of work, I want to come and be your classroom assistant. Maths generates itself so naturally. I once had a child build the greatest ‘Fettucini Tower’ ever. The task was…here is 500gm of fettucini and lots of blu tac (Marshmallow is an option). Then they just build … and the guy went wild and the structure was huge. Right at the end of the day it collapsed in on itself and their were tears of pure frustration spilt! It took skill and I know he enjoyed, what was a success.
    In your lesson the children seem to really know what they are doing. Maths is wonderful and has an intimate connection with art, especially through pattern and space.
    are you chaps about to break for the summer?
    A lot of people locally enjoy your site and your children’s great work.

Mr E
    Hawes

2. Dear Mr E,
    I am happy the you like our math 🙂 That would be awesome to have you here, but it would be a very long long long (20 more long’s) way. Yes, math does generate naturally. That is awesome! WOW! That is crassy! That must have really sucked. That is good that he enjoyed it! Ya we did. Yes we are I am exited and sad because I love school and I love summer!

Best wishes,

<3 Kennedy.