Up Close with Flowers

We started the morning off by dissecting flowers. We looked for all the different parts and tried to figure out what each part was for.   Here are some of the interesting things we discovered:

Kennedy-When we took the petals off we could see the stamen
Niall-Inside the stem looked hollow
Lily-Inside of the stem there were little veins for transport
Sahara-We looked inside the stem and it was really gooey
Justin-We used magnifying glasses to have a closer look
Karin-We eventually cut the whole flower off to see the eggs
Ana-There were many, many, eggs
Jenny-The colourful petals attract the bees
Oceana-When you rub your fingers on the anther you get pollen on your fingers
Silkence-The stigma on top of the pistol felt sticky so the pollen from the bees will get stuck

Dante-I learned all the parts of the flower

You can take a closer look with us by watching our slide show.

Dissecting flowers was the perfect introduction to a Georgia O’Keeffe inspired art lesson. Mrs. Watson brought in beautiful flowers for us to use as our inspiration. We hope you like them!

12 thoughts on “Up Close with Flowers

1. A captivating Animoto. The beautiful crayon and chalk work is hugely effective. Have you guysmade t-shirts? I buy white or black t-shirts (good quality) from Amazon, the cost is about £2 GBP and then I get t-shirt transfers from Amazon. Home design shirts Less than £4 GBP. Your art work would look great front or back!You have to remember to flip any writing over… just athought.
    Are you at the beginning of your flower investigation?

Best wishes
    Mr E

• Dear Mr. Eldredge’s class,

When you left that last comment you gave my class an idea of making T-shirts! That is a good idea. Where in your town is Amazon?
      Do you like flowers? I do.

From Silkence

2. Dear quad blogging buddies,

What an amazing lesson! Not only did you get to learn about the different parts of a flower but also one of my favorite artists! Georgia O’Keefe has some of the greatest works of art. Yours turned out just as wonderfully!

We learned about the different parts of a flower earlier this year. It’s amazing how many different parts it takes to create the processes of pollination and fertilization! Keep up all your wonderful work!

Your friend,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr. Avery,
      Thanks for such a wonderful comment! I thought dissecting flowers was pretty cool too! We did get to learn the different parts of the flower that was also fun but drawing the flowers was even better! I don’t like Georjia O’Keefe’s art I love it! I think that she’s a good artist, infact she’s great! I think it’s cool that you learned adout flowers at the beginning of the year and we learned about flowers near the end of the yaer!

from,
      Karin

3. Dear Mr. Avery
    Thank you for leaving us a comment! Every time you do a little bit is funny! You are always ready to leave us a comment. Georgia O`Keefe sure is a artist, with fancy work too!
    Your blogging buddy, Oceana

4. Dear Mr.E,
    Thanks for the wonderful comment. Which flower picture did the pastels show up in the most? No we haven’t made t-shirts.

Got to go,
    Niall in Mrs.Watson’s class.

• Dear Nicole,
      I think animotos are awesome too 🙂 Why do you like animotos? I like animotos because you can put in pictures and videos in. My class has lots of animotos like you do. What is your favourite animoto that you have on your class blog? My favourite animoto on my class blogs is the commutiy garden. From,
      Sophie

5. Dear sophie,
    The bit I like about animotos is the music, on the animoto website I like the music Indite Rock. My faviorite Animoto on our blog is the one that me and my freinds did about school and us mucking about with the camara. From,
    Nicole

6. Thank you, Mrs Watson’s 2/3 Class!

Mr E told me about your wonderful pictures. We are finding out about flowers and plants too and we have just bought some very clever wireless microscopes, shaped a bit like eggs, so I think we could use them to look really, really closely at very small flowers. It is always interesting to see that the centre of the flower often has lines which are a bit like guides for the insects. Then we could use those images as inspirations for art. Do you think it would work?

Thank you for sharing your excellent work with us all,

Mrs B from Barton.

• Dear Mrs.Beveridge,

Thank you sooo much for leaving us a comment! My flower was the pink, white and perple. I have a queshten, have you ever made art like that? You should try it. My favourite part about those flowers is their wonderful colors. What is your favourite part about flowers? I love seeing the ovory, the eggs and th petals. What parts do you like to see?

Your friend, Oceana