Native Plants

Today, during our First Nations time, Claudia taught us about some of the native plants that can be found in our schoolyard. We compared different evergreen trees, berry bushes, and other plants the First Nations people used. We talked about the different ways the plants were used and then we had a special treat. Claudia peeled salmonberry shoots and let us all have a taste. It was a new experience for everyone! Some students really liked the shoots and some found them to be too bitter. After our snack we started our plant identification booklets and were excited to find out that we will get to learn some Kwak’wala too!

Have you ever tried salmonberry shoots before? If you have did you like the taste?

2 thoughts on “Native Plants

1. Dear Mrs.Watson,
    I thought that it was awesome when Claudia brought the salmonberry shoots they tasted a little bitter. It would have been bitterer if we did not put sugar on them. I thought it would taste a little worse. Why did you like it when Cluadia came?
    From
    Sophie

2. Dear Mrs. Watson and class,
    I had fun tasting salmonberry shoots, I picked some today (Claudia checked them that they were the right kind) and they were yummy!

When you were little did you try salmonberry shoots with sugar.

your student Ana.