Our Community Garden

Trev and his friend G2 accompanied the whole school on our first visit to the community garden. The garden is being built by volunteers and is still a work in progress. So far there is a great fence to keep the deer out and there are also a few raised beds made of concrete. There will be many more beds being built over the next several weeks. We also saw some sea soil, dirt, sand, and manure ready to be shoveled in. Our school will have two beds to look after. We can’t wait to start work!

After visiting the garden we decided to show Trev and G2 the beach and then passed Harmony Glen and the Health Clinic on our way back up to the school.

13 thoughts on “Our Community Garden

1. It’s always nice to be involved at the start of something. Deep projects seem to do well in schools. We tend to have a much bigger problem with rabbits than deer, although there are some around. Do you have badgers as well? It’s unusual to see them here, but I spotted one at night, a couple of days a go. My wife spotted a weasel whilst she was out yesterday. The old folks accommodation looked great, old age is a thing that is changing. They think a quarter of English children might see 100! I’d settle for 78.
    We are locked into a strange set of holidays…Easter (late), royal wedding, Labour day … The temperature is around20c and it should be about13c. Everyone has gone straight to summer holiday mode. It’s going to be hard for everyone when they have to return to school properly.
    I really like Sointula, it’s my place in Canada. I very much appreciate the children giving us window to look into their world.

Take care
    Mr E
    Hawes

• Dear Mr E,
      Yes you are right. Ya. Oh! I didn’t know that, (that is a pretty cool fact but a pane). No we don’t. I don’t believe that you saw a badgers! A weasle! It has been a busy year for you!

From,
      Kennedy

2. Hello my B.C. friends! Thank you so much for sharing the latest update of G2’s travel adventure! I love your community garden. I have been involved in similar projects in the past. They’re a lot of hard work but it’s so much fun and you learn so much about plants and soils. I wish you the best of luck with your garden and hope that you will keep us posted with updates on the garden’s progress! I really enjoyed the video clip of the beach. You can hear the water behind you and I think that’s one of the loveliest sounds of nature! I’m sure G2 was happy to hear the ocean as well! The rocky shore that you’re standing on reminds me of the beach in my parent’s hometown in Newfoundland. I thought that was interesting because these two places are literally on the opposite sides of our great country! Thanks for sharing the other parts of your community like the seniors’ housing and health clinic. We are learning so much about Sointula, B.C. from your blog posts and updates to our project wiki! 🙂

• Dear Mrs.Gill,
      Thank you for leaving us a comment! I love it when you leave us comments! Gill had a lot of fun at the community garden. Trev did too! We have are own school planting box. Mrs.Watson said we have to take good care of the community garden. Hope to talk to you soon!

Love, Oceana

3. What a great animoto! The community garden looks as if its an amazing project – there must be lots of people involved. Are you going to grow flowers or veggies in your beds? We grow some veggies and flowers in our school garden; we have to work hard to find things that will grow in the wind and the sea air. We can’t start until well into April as its too cold but we have such long days in summer that the plants catch up. We have to contend with rabbits like Mr Eldridge; we don’t have any deer in Shetland. We’ll look forward to seeing your garden develop.
    Do your doctors come from the mainland? We have a health centre and resident doctors on our island. Our islands that have less than a 100 people on them have resident nurses and visiting doctors. What large pebbles you have on your beach – I think my class would like some like that – great for building on the beach.

• Dear Mrs.Breyley,
      The community garden is an amazing project.
      We might have flowers and veggies in the beds.
      Do you like rhubarb I do?
      Would you like to hear what garden foods I like
      Apples,
      Carrots,
      lettuces,
      Tomatoes and spinach
      I have more favourites and I should not say all of my favourites because it will make it too long.
      your pale
      Ana:)

4. Dear Mrs. Watson,

The garden looks so pretty. I wish I could come and see it. It reminds me of my grandma’s garden that my friend and I fixed up for her birthday. We put a bunch of new flowers like daisies and tulips in. We also put in a bunch of new garden decorations that we got from a store. I wonder what it would be like if I could really see it in person.

Your Pal,

Courtny
    Techie Kids

• Dear Courtny,
      The garden is pretty and trust me I’ve been there! I’ve been there it’s AWESOME! Exept for the big pile horse poop thats just gross. No really it is gross! My grandma’s garden is huge me and my mom are growing strawberry plants and we’re going to to plant cabbage and peas. We don’t have any fancy decorations in my grandma’s garden unless too many weeds count but I don’t think they do.

From,
      Karin

5. Dear,Mrs. Watson

The video was really cool. The video was cool to me because it reminds me of my stuffed animal.I never knew that your class got to bring stuffed animal in.

Your Friend Jacob,
    From TechieKids

• Dear Jacob,

Thank you for the comment. The stuffed animals that we have arent really ours there just guests. I also thought that the video was cool but when we made it my feet were kind of wet from the ocean.

your friend
      Justin

6. Hello Mrs. Watson’s class,
    I am Emily from Comox. Just wanted to know what is being planted in the garden and how big it is? I wish we could build a garden

7. Dear Ms. Watson’s class

I am Shayne from Ms. Bulger’s class.I thought I could make a coment. Oh and I wanted to know how big your garten is?

Put tipe back yes if it’s long put no it it’s short.

• Dear Shayne and Emily,

Emily the comunuty garden is as big as the half of our gym. We havent planted anything in the gardin because the garden has to get all the rocks out of the garden beds!

Shayne YES the garden is big! 🙂

From your friend,
      Silkence (in Mrs. Watsons 2/3 class. 🙂