Science Fair

Last week was the school Science Fair. This year, every student in the school did a science project. The students did a wonderful job on their projects. The judges and community members who visited the projects were all very impressed!

Each student had to come up with a question they were interested in answering. They then did background research and formulated a hypothesis. The next step was to write their procedure and list the materials they would need to complete their experiment. After completing their experiments at home the students recorded their observations and data, and then wrote their results and conclusions. Each student also had to list the sources they used for research and thank anyone that they received help from. Doing a science fair project is a wonderful way to learn about the scientific process while studying about something each student is interested in.

Have you ever done a science fair project before?

Can you tell us about your project?

10 thoughts on “Science Fair

1. Dear Mrs Watsons class

Last week was the school Science Fair. I really like your science fair projects The students did a wonderful job on their projects.

• Dear Jacob,

You have all made a great start into the world of science. Well done! Science Fairs are a great way to showcase science. Doing a science fair project is a wonderful way to learn about the scientific process while studying about something each student is interested in. Thanks for replying.

Yes i have done a science fair. My project was about pulleys. Pulleys can reduce weight.

Sincerly,
        Ryan

Techie kids

2. Dear Mrs. Watson’s 1/2/3 class,

I enjoyed reading what the students did for their science fair project. They looked very good for students in K,1,2,and 3 graders. I am very impressed about it.

Sincerely,
    Matt
    Techie Kids

• Dear Matt,
      Thank you so much for leaving us a comment and such a nice compliment. Everyone worked very hard on their projects and had a lot of fun sharing them with everyone. Have you ever been in a science fair before? If you have, can you tell us about the project you did?

Your friends,
      Mrs. W and the K/1/2/3s

• Dear Mrs. Watson’s K/1/2/3 Class,

You asked if I have had a science fair project before. I did have a science fair last March. For my project I did submarines and there stabilizing fins. The stabilizing fin helps them stay steady and not roll. This was my third project I have done since fourth grade. This was also one of the best.

Sincerely,
        Mathew

Techie kids

3. Dear Mrs Wastons class,

I was in a science fair once. it was a lot of fun. My science fair project was about pulleys. Pulleys make work easier. It reduces the amount of work it takes to lift an object. My pulley lifted a concrete brick. Has anyone else ever worked with pulleys?

From,
    Ryan
    Techie kids

• Dear Ryan,
      Solomon, a grade 3 student in our class, did his science fair project on pulleys this year. Hopefully he will have a post up about his project soon. It sounds like his project is similar to the one you did. Do you have any ideas for other projects you would like to do?

Your friend,
      Mrs. W

• Dear Mrs. W,

Thanks to you and Jacob for replying. I look forward to reading Solomon’s post about pulleys.

You asked if I have any other ideas for projects. Maybe you could try airflow.

From,
        Ryan
        Techie Kids

4. Dear Mrs. Watson and K/1/2/3,

Science Fairs are a great way to showcase science and the methods used. I was impressed by the range of science projects you had chosen and by the steps you all used.

In one school, I ran a weekly science club during lunch break. We would try out a new experiment each week. We would often use the same or similar steps to the ones you had taken…

1. Come up with a question
    2. Do background research
    3. Formulate a hypothesis
    4. Write the procedures to be taken
    5. List the materials needed
    6. Complete the experiment
    7. Record the observations and data
    8. Write the results
    9. Make a conclusion
    10. List the sources used for research
    11. Recognise those who helped

I especially liked your inclusion of what I listed as points 10 and 11. Scientists often work in teams so it can be important to recognise others involved whether through helping with ideas or the experiment.

I was wondering, did any of you have any unexpected results? While this can mean something was done incorrectly, some amazing discoveries in science have been made through unexpected results.

Only last night I read about a product you probably know as Blu Tack. A person was looking for a new type of sealant (used to protect from water). One of the results he found wasn’t very good as a sealant but could stick to things and be reused. The discovery of Blu Tack was an accident.

It all comes down to what I listed as point 9, writing a conclusion based on your results. I wonder if one day one of you will make an accidental discovery of something amazing?

You have all made a great start into the world of science. Well done!

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia