All About 14!

Every day when we finish our math warm up we do a number chat about a different number. Sometimes we do as many different equations as we can, sometimes we show a number as many different ways as we can, and sometimes we do both.

Today we did equations for 14. We could use addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, or combinations of the different operations. Here are our equations for 14:

*You can click on each picture to make it bigger*

What is your favourite equation for 14?

2 thoughts on “All About 14!

1. Dear Mrs. Watson’s K/1/2/3 Class,

What a wonderful way of number chatting. I can see many combinations you have found for the number 14. I see you could use addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, or combinations of the different operations. I have to take a turn and see what happens…

8 x 9 ÷ 6 – 5 + 7 = 14

I set this out in a special order to make it correct. In math, multiplication and division parts of an equation are always done first. Addition and subtraction are only done when all multiplication and division parts are done. Sounds strange doesn’t it? Math can be like that. What we do can sound strange at first then, we understand, it can become easy.

Look at these. What do you think their answers are? Remember to do the multiplication and division parts first.

a) 5 + 2 x 3 =
    b) 9 – 6 ÷ 2 =

If you had these answers, you forgot to do the multiplication and division parts first.

a) 5 + 2 x 3 = 21
    b) 9 – 6 ÷ 3 = 1

Here are the real answers…

a) 5 + 2 x 3 = 11 (We do 2 x 3 first then add 5.)
    b) 9 – 6 ÷ 2 = 6 (We do 6 ÷ 2 first then take it away from 9)

How did you all go? I always loved working things out in Math, even when I was your age.

@RossMannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

2. Hello Class,
    My favourite equation is 7+7-7+7-7+7=14.
    What is your favourite equation for fourteen? Hope you write me back bye guys

From your classmate

Jorja