New Tools and Apps

Today was a day to experiment with a new tool and to try out a new app.

This morning we used our Livescribe pens for the first time. We have two pens and special paper that lets you record what you are writing and also what you are saying if you like. Several students had a chance to try the pens during our Daily 5 rounds. We are trying to think of other ways that the pens will be able to help us with our learning too.

Do you have Livescribe pens in your classroom?  If you do, what do you use them for?

In the afternoon we started a new topic in Health and Careers and used an app called ScreenChomp to brainstorm in groups what we know about healthy eating. We were able to write our ideas on the screen and record audio to go with them. You can see the ScreenChomp that one of the groups created at this link http://www.screenchomp.com/t/vDS7U5mMwS

We would love to hear about your favourite healthy foods!  Please add your favourites to our AnswerGarden below.

What is your favourite healthy food?… at AnswerGarden.ch.

5 thoughts on “New Tools and Apps

1. When you little guys are using technology that I just don’t understand, it makes me feel old and I want to hold on to my pencil, really tightly. My older children 10/11 are thinking about healthy food as well. However they confused food they LIKE with food that is HEALTHY and we ended up in a chip shop! The work you put on chomp I’m guessing, used the magic pens? Your handwriting is good to read and shows that you are thinking about important things that will help you live an energetic exciting life.
    I think that’s great, if it is true. It seems that people are having new learning ideas every day.
    I catch up with overnight e-mails etc. at breakfast and it seems that more and more often my breakfast goes cold because of all the interesting things that people are doing.

Best wishes
    Mr E
    Hawes

2. Dear Mrs. Watson and 2/3’s,

Hello, friends! We havent’ been blogging for awhile, but are happy to be back at it! It looks like you are having fun with some new tools. Could you share with us some examples of how you’ve used the Livescribe pen? We will check back to read other peoples uses too.

We have learned about healthy food in the past school years. It is a very important topic. This class added oranges to your AnswerGarden. We have not used AnswerGarden before, but we’d like to try one on Techie Kids too. Thanks for the great idea! Some other healthy foods we like are pistachios, carrots, apples, blueberries, bananas, and blackberries. There are so many delicious healthy foods to choose from!

We noticed that your picture shows some beautiful trees in the snow. Was that picture taken near you? We have had some snow also, but not nearly as much as we usually have by this time of year. It seems that whenever it snows, it warms up right after taking the new snow away.

Your friends in Michigan,
    Mrs. Moore and the Techie Kids

3. Dear Mrs. Watson and the 2/3s,

I’m so glad you were able to try out some new tools. It’s always so much fun to try something new! As you may have seen, we just recently got new iPod Touches and a new camcorder for our classroom. We’ve had so much fun playing around with them!

For healthy food, I added strawberries. I love strawberries! I can eat them plain. I can put them in my cereal in the morning. I can eat them on salads. They’re so delicious and healthy!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

4. I have a neighbor who has one of those pens and he loves it. He told me that you can write something and it reads and records what you write. I would think that would be a great use of technology in the classroom for young children. The could learn how to say words that they may struggle with even with sounding them out on their own. How nice that the classroom is able to have them and use them.

• Dear Tammy,
      Thank you very much for leaving us a comment. The Livescribe pens are still pretty new to us and we are looking for more ways to use them in the classroom. Is your neighbor a teacher? We would love to know how he uses his pens in the classroom if he is.

Thanks again for visiting our blog,
      Mrs. W and the 2/3s