Wikki Stix and Word Wizard

The students are doing amazingly well at building their Read to Self and Work on Writing stamina. They are now able to work for more than 20 minutes independently, which means they get to choose which activity they will do during each of our Daily 5 rounds. We also started to learn about some of the choices that will be available during Word Work and Listen to Reading, the 2 rounds we will introduce next.

In the video below you can see the students using Wikki Stix and an iPad app called Word Wizard to practice their word wall words. We also practiced Rainbow Words and Word Work choices on the SmartBoard.

What do you like best about Daily 5 so far?

9 thoughts on “Wikki Stix and Word Wizard

• Thank you for visiting our class blog. We are really enjoying Word Wizard. We love the movable alphabet and the spelling quizzes! We’ll let you know if we come up with any suggestions.

Mrs. W and the 2/3s

1. Dear Mrs. W and class

I think the Wikki Stix and iPads were so much FUN!!! I can’t wait till we have it in one of the Daily 5 round!

We are going to have it in a round right?

Best wishes
    From Kennedy

• Dear Kennedy,
      I think it is fantastic that you left the first student comment of the year! I love the Wikki Stix and iPads too. I think the Wikki Stix would be great for art as well. You won’t have to wait much longer for them both to be a choice during Daily 5. We will be launching Word Work this week!

See you tomorrow!
      Mrs. W

2. Hello Mrs Watson and 2/3 class,

I am just wondering if you could tell me a bit more about these wikki stix you were using for your word work? I have never seen them before and would love to know more.

Thanks

Miss Spink

• Dear Miss Spink,
      Thank you so much for leaving us a comment. We love Wikki Stix! They are a great mess free, re-useable way to practice our words during Word Work. They are easy to bend into shapes and stick to whatever surface we are using. They are also quick and easy to take apart and reuse. You can find out more about Wikki Stix on their website.

Mrs. W

3. Hello Mrs. Watson and the 2/3’s,

I loved the idea of using Wikki Stix along with the iPad app Word Work. I can’t wait to share this with the 2nd and 3rd grade classes in my building. We too are fortunate to have iPods and iPods and I will be looking into downloade the Word Work app. Your class is off to a wonderful start and I will be visiting frequently to see all the great things you do.

~Mrs. Yammine and the Super STARS

• Dear Mrs. Yammine and the Super Stars,
      It was great to get a comment from you! How is your year going so far? We will have to visit your website and see what your grade 2/3’s are up too. We think it is great that you have iPods and iPads too. We sure love ours. We have been using Word Wizard during word work and like the Story Chimes stories for Listen to Reading.

Your friends,
      Mrs. W and the 2/3’s