Our First Week

Week number one was absolutely amazing! The grade 3 students were wonderful helpers and the new grade 2 students settled right into our class routines.

This week we launched the first part of the Daily 5, Read to Self. We talked about how important it is to read every day if we want to become betters readers (and it happens to be a lot of fun too!). After just three days of practicing we got our stamina up to ten minutes! We added three reading strategies to our CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expand Vocabulary) Menu. In grade 2/3 we love to read!

We also started our first math unit. This month we will be learning all about patterns. The students in our class are definitely repeating pattern masters!

Week 2 here we come!

3 thoughts on “Our First Week

1. Dear Mrs. Watson’s class,

We’re so glad your back! I know I got to know some of you last year from quadblogging but that there are also some new students this year. I’m really excited to get to know all of you too!

It sounds like you’re off to a great start! I love reading to myself so I think you’re definitely going to enjoy that. All the rest of it sounds good too!

I look forward to following you this year!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery
    Mr. Avery’s Class Blog

2. Dear Mr. Avery,
    Thank you for leaving us a comment! How was your summer? Did you do anything fun or interesting? Mrs. Watson told us that you are teaching a new grade this year. How is it going so far?

We had a great summer! Our first week was exciting. There was an earthquake on Friday. We had never felt an earthquake before. Some people felt it, but some of the kids who were running around didn’t feel it. Some of us thought that it was scary.

We hope you had an exciting first week too!

Your friends,
    Mrs. W and the 2/3s

3. Dear Mrs. Watson and class,

I am teaching a new grade level! It’s going great! I moved up to grade 6. I get to teach some of the students I had in grade 4! I’m really excited about it.

I can only imagine how an earthquake would feel! I’ve never felt one before. That’s like when there was an earthquake on the east coast. A lot of my friends and family felt it but I never felt a thing. I was at school and it felt like just a regular day to me.

What were some of your favorite things that you did over the summer? Has Mrs. Watson received her green screen yet? I can’t wait to see some of the videos!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery