A Little Fresh Air

It was an absolutely beautiful day here today. The kind of day that has the children wanting to swim in the lake (even though it would be far too cold) and has people running to the store to find something to BBQ.

It was definitely far too nice to stay inside and so we decided to take Daily 5 out. We headed to the grassy area at the front of the school and listened to the next chapter of Harry Potter and then the students either wrote in their writing books or read a book from their book bags.

There should definitely be more days like this!

9 thoughts on “A Little Fresh Air

1. I’ll have bar b q Peach with caramel sauce and nuts.
    These sorts of days used to string together and spell summer when I was little!
    The Daily 5, you mention it or them from time to time.
    I’d love to know … who or what are they.
    Today is arty Friday for you, so have a nice time.

Mr E

• Dear Mr. E,
      We think a bbq peach sounds delicious! Kennedy is the only one in our class who has actually tried one before, but we’d all like to. Some of us have had grilled apple and pineapple. Have you ever tried those?

Daily 5 is the language arts framework that we use. There are 5 different rounds you can do each day (Read to Self, Read to Someone, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading, and Word Work). You can read more about Daily 5 and the CAFE strategies (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expand Vocabulary) here . The students think Daily 5 is really cool and fun. They love having choice and have a great bank of strategies they can use.

Your friends,
      Mrs. W and the 2/3’s

2. We have used some of Daily Cafe but haven’t gotten into Daily 5 in second grade yet. Do you like it? I’ve read the book. We use Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop at the moment– Lucy Calkins model (mini-lesson then students independently read /write while you confer with individual students or work with small strategy groups/guided reading/book clubs).

You day outside sounds like a great day. Makes me want to go outside with the class. Today and the first part of this week sounds like it’s going to be hot already. What are you writing and reading about? How much longer are you in school? Students get out on June 10th here in Monroe, North Carolina, USA. We go back on August 25 for a new school year.

We are enjoyed looking at things on your blog site. We are learning a lot about different parts of the world by doing this.
    If you want you can check out more about us at http://brendatodd.edublogs.org/

Mrs. Todd

• Dear Mrs. Todd,
      Thank you for your wonderful comment! What you do in reading and writing is a lot like what we do. We have mini-lessons too and then we choose a round to work on. Individual students or small groups work with Mrs. Watson during this time. We all love Daily 5!

We go to school until the very end of June, but we don’t go back to school until the first Tuesday in September. How hot is it where you live? It doesn’t get too hot here, but it also doesn’t get too cold either.

Thanks for asking what we are writing and reading about. We’d love to tell you:
      Lily-I’m reading about horses.
      Jordan-I am reading Ripley’s Believe it or Not!
      Justin-I’m reading a book called the Race and I like writing newspaper articles.
      Sahara- I am reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and I am writing a story about a wizard.
      Silkence-I am writing about vampires and I’m reading Greek Gods and Heroes.
      Sophie-I am writing about body parts.
      Kennedy-I am writing a story about a wizard and I am read Doll People.
      Fay-I am writing a story called Kids and Codes and am reading the Lego Star Wars Dictionary book.
      Oceana-I am writing about Super Diaper Baby.
      Ana-I am reading Amazing World of Words.

Visiting other classes in the world is great fun! We’ll take a look at your blog too.
      Your new friends,
      Mrs. W and the 2/3’s

• Dear Mrs. Watson,
        It’s been very hot here the last two weeks. Many days are above 90 degrees F. It’s very humid and the ozone level was high today. It’s great to meet others and see what’s happening. Nothing like this was around when I was young. My second grade students are amazed when we look at the different places viewing our blog site.
        Our school is almost over for the year.

• Dear Mrs Todd,

Thanks for the comment. The whole class loved it outside it was so hot!!!! I wish we stayed outside the whole day. 🙂 Its got really hot here too!!!

From Justin

3. This time of year in the classroom can be such a pleasure with students; getting outside to read and enjoy the fresh air, giving
    them the independence they have earned. Your animoto video evoked memories I have shared with my students as well;thanks
    for sharing.

Mme Sek

4. Dear Mrs.Watson,
    This is not about a little fresh air. this is a little somthing that I want to bring to school. Is it all right that I bring a snail? My grama found it in the garden and she said I could keep it. please email me back before tomoro if you have time.
    Thanks.

From Oceana

P.S if you are afraid that it will get away, it won`t.