Reading Celebration 2010!

Everyone had an amazing time at the Reading Celebration and Sleepover! It was such a busy day that this is going to be a very long post.

We started the day with a puppet show by our Regional library. We invited all the students in the school to join us. Everyone enjoyed the new version of the Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Next, the primary students rotated through three different stations. They got to listen to stories with Mother Goose on the Literacy Bus, act out the Enormous Carrot with our principal, Ms. Sweeney, and go on an Artifact Walk with our District Literacy Support Teacher, Mrs. Lok.

After the stations it was time for our Skype call with award-winning author, illustrator, TV cartoonist, musician, and storyteller Mike Artell. Mr. Artell talked with us all the way from Louisiana. We got to ask him some questions and then he showed us how to cartoon different emotions, make cool lettering and even draw a beaver! The students had so much fun and drew some great cartoons too. Watch for another post with more pictures of our call and a video we found of him reading Petite Rouge (The Cajun version of Little Red Riding Hood).

After recess we visited the Illustration Station, decorated t-shirts and pillowcases, and went shopping with our Book Bucks. There were so many great books to choose from!

At 11:30 some very special guests came to school to read with us! Everyone had a great time reading with moms, dads, grandma’s, grandpa’s, little sisters and brothers, and friends. It was so nice to see families reading together all over the school!

We started the afternoon with a special guest reader. Debbie, our school secretary, read us Naty’s Parade. It is one of her grandson’s favourite books and we really liked it too! Next we did some more book shopping and finished our t-shirts and pillowcases. Some students spent some quiet time reading their new books in the tents. Before it was time to go home and get packed for the evening and sleepover we had a fun spelling bee.

We came back to the school for supper. Ms. Sweeney bought us delicious pizzas and juice and Ms. Lansdowne, who also teaches in our class, joined us for the sleepover. We owe her a big thank you for staying the night with us!

After supper we had the Reading with Expression contest. Many of the students had been practicing their books for weeks at home and boy could you tell! We sure have fantastic readers in our class! This was Mrs. Watson’s favourite part of the night.

The Treasure Hunt was next. We got into partners and raced through the school solving riddles. Some of the clues were pretty tricky. The final stop was ice cream sundaes in the computer lab. While we ate we decided on our movie for the night. Monsters vs. Aliens was the big winner.

After putting on our jammies we all watched the movie on the high jump mats in the classroom. The movie was hilarious and we enjoyed the snacks our parents sent in while we watched. When the movie was over we read in our tents before going to sleep. Mrs. Watson and Ms. Lansdowne slept on the big mats.

In the morning we had breakfast and packed up. After everything was ready to go home we handed out awards in the classroom. There were special prizes for the most minutes read in the 6 week challenge, the Reading with Expression contest, the spelling bee, and the treasure hunt.

A BIG thank you to all the parents who helped to move everything out of the classroom when they came to pick up their children. (We have to move into the computer room for a week while our carpet is replaced with great new lino.) The parents managed to move a very full classroom to the computer room across the hall in less than 15 minutes! You are all amazing and greatly appreciated!

21 thoughts on “Reading Celebration 2010!

1. Dear Mrs. Watson and class,

It looks like a great time was had by all! I love all the attention given to the joy of reading. I’m sure that his experience will stay with everyone forever!

Love it!

🙂
    Mrs. Yollis
    California

2. This looks like it was a lot of FUN!!!! You all look like you enjoyed yourself. I would imagine that you will never forget about your evening. I loved the slide presentation.

3. Wow! It looks like all of you had a wonderful time. Now you’ve got me thinking about what we could do next year. Thanks for inspiring me to try something new.

Miss Dunsiger
    Grade 1 Teacher
    Ancaster, ON

4. Dear Mrs W and 1/2/3s
    You packed a lot of fun into a short time! What great reading progress you will all make over the summer as you are such keen readers.
    For our last two summers we have had a ‘Summer of Learning ‘ programme where the children have been able to earn entries into a prize raffle by doing lots of reading. One boy won a bike!

Keep up the good work.
    Mrs Mckenzie and B4

5. Dear Mrs. Watson and 1/2/3’s,

We are having a special Daytime Sleepover as a wind up to our Reading Challenge this coming Friday and you’ve given me some wonderful ideas for the Special Day wiht my class! It looks like you all had such a fun time!! Congratulations on all your reading!

Keep reading over the summer,
    Mrs. Honeysett

6. Dear Mrs Watson and the 1/2/3s,

Wow, what a fantastic Reading Celebration and Sleepover you had! It looks like everyone had so much fun doing all of those amazing activities, you were very busy!

Well done to you Mrs Watson for organising the event, it must have taken a lot of work!

What a great way to finish your school year! 🙂

What was the most popular activity?

From Miss Jordan

7. Dear Mrs.W

My favourite part of the Reading Sleepover was the scavenger hunt, I wish I could do it next year.

from Micheal.

8. Dear Mrs. W and the 123’s
    I loved doing the movie and doing the family reading time.Do you have a part you like?

from Jordan

9. Dear Mrs,Watson
    My favourite part of the reading sleepover was the treasure hunt because all of us were having fun and after we all had ice cream sundaes.
    I also loved reading with my mom and Mrs. Lok.

From Charlize

10. Dear Mrs. W

I LOVE the pictures. My favourite one was the one when we were watching Monsters vs Aliens. I also liked when we went shoping for books. I loved pizza. The fruit salad was good.
    Talk to you soon
    your class mate

Justin

11. Dear Mrs W
    My favorite thing was family reading time. What part of the reading sleep over was your favourite part?
    Your friend,
    Sophie

12. Dear Mrs. Watson,

I liked the movie and the treasure hunt.It was so fun!!! I also liked the ice cream sundae!!!!!!!!!!

Your student,

Fay

13. I had lots of fun at the reading sleepover. My favourite part was the ice cream sundaes. I had rainbow ice cream with chocolate sauce, coconut, nuts and chocolate chips.
    from Oceana.

14. Dear Mrs Watson and the 123’s

I had so much fun at the reading sleepover!! My most favourite thing was the treasure hunt and I loved the shopping with book bucks.

I didn’t decorate a t-shirt or a pillow case.

from Jonny

15. Dear Mrs Watson and the 1/2/3’s,
    Wow!!! That Reading Celebration looked like lots of fun and you must of done a lot of reading! I wish I had been there! If I was there my favourite part would probably be the treasure hunt and the ice-cream sundaes in the computer lab. What was your favourite part? It is holidays for us for two weeks now! I am going to tell you about my two week holiday. On the holidays I am going to my nanny and pas house for a sleepover. I am looking forward to sleeping in! On Mondays and Tuesdays I have to go to my nanny and pas and my gran and papas house because my mum and dad works. I have to go to Jazmin’s birthday party and it is at her house. I have got a really busy holiday!
    Talk to you soon!!!
    Skye 🙂

• Dear Skye,
      We definitely had a lot of fun at our celebration and sleepover. It would have been amazing if your class could have been here with us! That would be a very big field trip!
      My favourite part was the Reading with Expression contest. I love hearing how well the students are reading after all their hard work all year. The treasure hunt was a lot of fun too and I really enjoyed my sundae.
      It sounds like you are going to have a great holiday. When I was little I loved having sleepovers at my grandma’s house. I hope you have a great time at Jazmin’s birthday. What sort of things do you do at birthday parties?

Talk to you soon,
      Mrs. W

16. Dear Mrs Watson,

Thank you for replying to my comment! It’s nice when people do that. Well, at birthday parties there is food, drinks, presents and people who you invited to your party. You can have disco parties, swimming parties, parties at kids playcenters, at your house and at McDonalds. When you were a little girl did you ever go to a birthday party and if you did what sort of birthday party was it and what did you do? That’s sweet that you loved having sleepovers at your Grandma’s house! I love having sleepovers at my Grandma’s house too! Yeah, it would be amazing if we would have been at your Reading Celebration!

Well bye for now, I have to go to a friends house, Skye! 🙂