World Oceans Day

World Oceans Day was last Saturday. Many of the students in our class were going to be away for the beach clean-up and so we decided to head down to the beach on Friday afternoon to do a clean-up of our own.

Here is what we found:

This all came from one small section of the beach down by the ferry dock. Everyone did a wonderful job doing their part to help the ocean and the world!

After we cleaned up the beach, we spent some time playing. We tried to see who could find the longest bull kelp and we used arm spans to measure them. The longest kelp we found was about 7 metres long! Next we made boats out of driftwood and sent them off to sea. It was fun to see which boats could hold the most passengers (rocks) and which boats traveled the furthest distance. Finally, we collected beach materials for an art project we will do later this week.

A Trip to the Beach on PhotoPeach

It was a wonderful afternoon!

3 thoughts on “World Oceans Day

1. Hello Mrs. Watson and K/1/2/3,

What a wonderful collection!

I am impressed by how many large items you found on your beach . You were able to collect some larger items. I see the items included drink cans as well. I wonder if I were to visit local beaches in our busy summer time, would I find cans as you have?

I know doing surveys on three local beaches have made them just a little cleaner but I didn’t think of trying to sail driftwood boats/ That would have been fun. 🙂

I noticed your beach is very different to my beaches. You have small stones whereas I have sand. I’ve always been interested in rocks and stones so I find your beach interesting.

We do have kelp here in Australia but I have never found a piece 7 metres long. I have seen photos of amazing undersea kelp forests.

Collecting beach materials for an art project is a great idea. I know we have a local artist who collects pieces of driftwood and turns them into sculptured art. I was once given one of his pieces. I thought I would take a photo to show you. This means I needed to make an extended comment. Here is the link…

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2013/06/13/driftwood-art-mrs-watson-and-her-k123-posted-world-oceans-day/

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

2. Dear Class
    You guys are good at that. You should be the beach cleaners.
    I cleaned up a little I didn’t have time to do more.
    You guys should be proud of your self’s.
    well I gotta go
    Your awesome mega altra cool
    buddy
    jacob

3. Dear Mrs. Watson and the K/1/2/3 class,

Wow! A day at the beach sounds very fun! My school will have beach day next week. We go to Miracle Beach on our beach day! It is amazing how much stuff gets washed up on the shore! I wish I was there to enjoy a day at the beach with you but i’m in Oyster River school now. 🙁 My class is the 3/4 class. My teachers are Mrs. Otteson and Mrs. Elphick. Beach day is always fun.

I hope that you all enjoyed the sun!

From your old friend,
    Oceana