Canadian Animal Wiki

This term we worked very hard to create a wiki all about Canadian wildlife. Each student chose an animal to research and then shared their information on a separate page of the wiki.

We hope that our wiki will be a great resource for anyone learning about Canadian wildlife or for our global friends who might wonder what types of animals live in our country.

Here is just a sampling of some of the cool facts you can find on the wiki:

Did you know the White-tailed deer can let off a smell to warn other deer of danger?

Hummingbirds can flap their wings 230 times in less than a minute!

Dolphins use echolocation to find their food and to swim away from predators.

The lynx usually eats 150-200 snowshoe hares in one year.

Did you know that a mouse’s teeth never stop growing?

The River Otter has a waterproof nose and ears.

An octopus can regrow an arm if it loses one.

We hope you enjoy our wiki!

Which animal do you find most interesting?

Do you have a favourite Canadian animal cool fact?

4 thoughts on “Canadian Animal Wiki

1. Hello Mrs. Watson’s 2/3 Class,

Animals are always interesting to learn about no matter how large or small.

Looking at your wonderful class wiki, Australia has dolphins, mice, owls and octopus but doesn’t have native deer, hummingbirds, lynx, otters, bears, raccoons, skunk, snowy owl, wolves or beaver. Our mice tend to be marsupial which means they are pouched. The only deer running wild are ones escaped from captivity. We don;t have hummingbirds but have many types of parrots. The only ‘bears’ we have, the koala, really aren’t bears at all. They aren’t any raccoons, skunk, wolves or beaver. Our only native dog is the dingo.

From your list, I find the hummingbirds most interesting because they can hover in one spot and even fly backwards. They are amazing little birds.

Thank you for sharing your wiki. I found it very interesting. 🙂

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

2. I love your facts and i love your blog. I did not know that hummingbirds can flap thier wings 230 times in less than a minute.
    From Angela and 2K

3. Hi Mrs.Watson and her Class,
    My favoured animal is a Platerpous. It has a bill like a duck and a tail like a beaver. I also find dears interesting because it leaps so high. But unfortunately I have never been to Canada and I do not know the animals that live there. But has any one from your class been to Leopold or Geelong.
    From your friend Caitlin. (2DD Leopold Primary) 🙂

4. Dear Mrs Watson and your 2/3 class

You have some very cool animals that have very cool facts. My favorite fact would have to be: The River Otter has a waterproof nose and ears. It’s funny the type of things animals have.

I don’t really know about Canadian animals, but I’m from NZ, so I know some animals from my country. Our main animal is the ‘Kiwi’. They are amazing animals with cool techniques to fight off predators. It’s as if they use Kung Fu to pretect themselves! They’re amazing animals.

Oh, Mrs Watson. I don’t know if you remember me but we had a big conversation on Room 24’s blog. Well, my teacher Miss McLeod has given me my own blog. Here’s what you type: http://miss-mollys-blog.blogspot.co.nz/

Your kiwi friend,
    Molly