Habitat Dioramas

In Science this term, we have been studying Animal Growth and Changes.

As a part of this unit each student chose a Canadian animal to learn more about. We researched their appearance, habitat, diet, predators, offspring, and adaptations. We learned how to take point form notes, create a bibliography, and to use our facts to create interesting and informative paragraghs.

We also learned about how our animals fit into the food chain. We took all this information and created a Wiki to share with anyone hoping to find out more about Canadian wildlife. We are just finishing the illustrations for the Wiki and will write a post about it soon.

As a final project, we created dioramas to represent what we learned about our animals. In our dioramas you can see the habitat our animals live in and other animals in their food chain. We collected materials from the forest to create our habitats and used plasticine to make the animals. We also added labels just like you would find in the illustrations of a non fiction book.

We hope you like them!
Our Dioramas on PhotoPeach

Do you have a favourite Canadian animal?

4 thoughts on “Habitat Dioramas

1. Hello Mrs. Watson’s 2/3 Class,

I think your dioramas are wonderful. I can see how hard you have tried to make a nice habitat for your animals.

Here is a link to an extended comment I made to show you how I make small trees for dioramas. You need only some wire, glue, scissors and coloured foam.

http://rossmannellcomments.edublogs.org/2012/06/25/making-trees-for-dioramas-for-mrs-watsons-23-class/

I hope you enjoy your summer vacation.

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

2. Dear Mr. Mannell,
    My name is Jacob. I am from Mrs Watson’s class.
    Thank you for teaching us to make a Diorama trees.
    Were they hard to make the first time?

From your blogging buddy
    Jacob.

3. I love this idea. I am just wondering what kind of green foam you used. I can’t seem to find anything quite like it. Could you please tell me what you used? Thank you so much.
    MJ