Read to Someone

Daily 5 has been going wonderfully in our classroom. The students can independently work at Read to Self, Work on Writing, Listen to Reading, and Word Work. They love choosing when they will do each activity and are doing a great job of identifying their strengths and the things they would like to focus on to help them become better readers and writers.

This week was very exciting because we launched the last of the Daily 5 rounds, Read to Someone. The students have learned about sitting EEKK, how to pick a good spot, using whisper voices, checking for understanding, and different ways you can read with a partner.

We made this short video to show you what a great job everyone is doing!

Do you do Daily 5 in your school?  Do your students have a favourite round?

Grade 2/3’s, which round of Daily 5 is your favourite?  Why?

12 thoughts on “Read to Someone

1. You were very quiet. I liked how you were using whisper voices. I could tell you were enjoying listening to your partners read because you were paying attention to them.
    Well done grade 2’s and 3’s.

• Dear Ms. Brown,
      Thank you so much for leaving us a comment. We’re glad that you could tell we were using our whisper voices. We have been working very hard on that. Read to Someone is so much fun!

Mrs. W and the 2/3s

2. Hi Mrs Watson,
    I am very impressed by the way your class reads to each other. We are looking at the daily 5 in our school and are starting to implement some the wonderful routines that you are establishing in your class. I haven’t got to a favourite round with my class yet (Grade 3/4) but I think the most established is reading to self which they really enjoy. The biggest thing I have noticed is the way they are switching onto reading. Its so fantastic!
    Thanks for a glimpse into your “daily 5”
    Kate Todd

• Dear Kate,
      Thank you so much for visiting our blog. We think that the students in your school will enjoy Daily 5 as much as we do! We like all of the rounds and love that we get to choose what we want to do during each round. We hope that you will visit again!

Mrs. W and the 2/3s

3. Dear Grade 2/3
    I love seeing how focused you all are and how you know what to do. That’s wonderful.
    The children in B4 like doing all of the rounds but I suspect the most popular one is Read to Someone, and the second most popular choice is probably Listen to Reading.
    I’ll have to ask on Monday and find out for sure!

happy reading 🙂
    Mrs McKenzie

• Dear Mrs. McKenzie,
      Thank you for your comment. I think that many of the grade 2/3 students also have the same favourites. What kind of stories do the children in B4 like to listen to? We like the Story Chimes apps on the iPads and Storyline Online, Barnes and Nobles, and Robert Munsch on the computers.

Your friends,
      Mrs. W and the 2/3s

4. The daily five idea always catches my eye. This certainly appears to be an approach to reading the children enjoy. I was wondering what the quality and quantity of books available is like? I also notice how lovely your huge, open, light classes are. It’s most enjoyable getting a glimpse into someone else’s practice. I would like to know who the two or three favourite authors currently are in your class?

Mr E
    Hawes

• Dear Mr. E,
      Thank you for asking about Daily 5. This is our second year doing Daily 5 and we love it. The students especially like that they have choice and I love how it allows them to take responsibility for their learning. They are able to work independently and are fantastic at reflecting and setting goals.

We have a lot of great books in our classroom. I save book club coupons to buy books, shop garage and library sales, and have wonderful families and friends of the school who donate gently used books once their children have outgrown them. The students helped to reorganize the library this year and we found out that we have more than 1000 books (we ran out of labeling stickers and had to get more). Do classroom in your school have their own libraries?

I love seeing in other classrooms as well! It is one of my favourite things about visiting other schools.

Look for a blog post in the next day or two about our favourite books and authors. This has been a hot topic lately and deserves a post of its own 🙂

Regards,
      Mrs. W

5. Dear Mrs Watson and Grade 2/3 students,
    Wow, you are so quiet when you do Read to Someone. If we do Read to Someone with our whole class there are 50 children reading. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful classroom and so much space. Read to Someone is my students favourite Daily5. Now that you have done all the Daily5, have you decided which is your class favourite?
    Keep reading, because ‘the more you read the better you read’!
    Bye for now, Mrs Camden

6. Dear Mrs. Watson’s class,

I think that reading is awesome! What kind of book do you like? I have a favorite kind. My favorite kind is Curious George and Ready Freddy.

From,
    Ashlin
    in Mrs. Moore’s class

7. Dear Mrs. Camden,
    Thank you so much for watching our video and for leaving us a comment. 50 children in one class is hard for us to imagine. That is how many students we have in our whole school! We really like Read to Someone too. It must be hard to choose partners when there are so many students to choose from. There are lots of different favourites right now. Maybe we will have a vote once all 5 Dailies are in full swing.

Your friends,
    Mrs. W and the 2/3s

8. Dear Class,
    I love read-to-someone. It is so fun to read with someone. What is your favourite book or author? The White Giraffe and Robert Munch are my favourites 🙂
    Read good books,
    Sophie