Spring is in the Air!

We were a small group this afternoon, but we had a very busy and fun time.  We started a new read aloud (James and the Giant Peach) by one of our favourite authors, started a new science unit on Solids, Liquids, and Gases and we also finished our daffodil paintings.

Here’s a look at our beautiful paintings:

IMG_5435 IMG_5436 IMG_5437 IMG_5439 IMG_5440 IMG_5441 IMG_5442 IMG_5443 IMG_5444

We hope to see everyone at the Loonie Auction tomorrow evening in the school gym.  It should be a great time!

5 thoughts on “Spring is in the Air!

1. Hello Mrs. Watson and K/1/2/3,

Your post caught my attention. I have used “James and the Giant Peach” with some of my classes and have found it to be a wonderful story.

For us down here in Australia, it’s now autumn or do you call it fall? Days are growing cooler and the nights are getting longer but flowers are still blooming. I know because I have taken some photos but none look as beautiful as your daffodil paintings. They make such a wonderful display for your classroom.

I see you have also started a new science topic. Science is a particularly interesting subject for me. It’s what I studied for my degree in university. Solids, liquids and gases (I know as the states of matter) are interesting studies because they remind us of everything around us.

Water is my favourite in this area because it is so easy to see it in all three. We can put water in a container when it’s a liquid. If we heat it enough, it becomes a gas. If we cool it enough, it becomes a solid.

We live in an amazing world and it seems you are finding exciting ways to explore it.

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

2. Hello to Mrs Watson and her 1/2/3,

We are a 3/4 class from a school just outside Hobart in Tasmania, Australia. We’ve only been blogging for two and a half weeks but are enjoying it very much.

Your daffodil paintings are lovely. We have them growing here in the temperate (not tropical and hot) parts of Australia, but not till the spring. We are currently in Autumn but I believe you call it Fall. This week we are doing artwork for Mothers Day. We are using coloured card and just scissors and glue to create a collage of flowers in a vase, jug or jar to give to our mothers as a framed piece of art. Today we drew our plan and decided on the shapes and colours that we will use. Tomorrow we start cutting and sticking!! Please feel free to check out our blog. After Sunday we will post photos of our finished art so you can see how they turn out.

Our address is http://www.xpress360.net.au/veddleston/

Happy learning and blogging!
    3/4 Bayside Learners

3. Hello Mrs. Watson and K/1/2/3, I am enjoying your blog and it seems as if you have a wonderful time at school! I wrote to you a few months ago saying that I am A.J. Elliott’s granddaughter and I also was a teacher. I wonder if I could come to visit you in June? Could you write and tell me what would be a good day to visit you in June? My email is boydbeth@shaw.ca. Thanks very much, Beth

• Dear Beth,
      With all the excitement that comes with the end of the year, I just realized that we didn’t respond to this comment. We would love if you could stop by for a visit. I will send you an email.

Mrs. W