You’re in the Picture

Recently, the grade 2/3/4s have been working on their descriptive writing. This focus lesson was all about using elaboration to make their writing more interesting.

The students practised using their senses to describe various objects, events, and experiences. We used the book, All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan as our anchor text. If you aren’t familiar with this book you really should look for it in your library. The illustrations are beautiful and the text is very powerful. The students were asked to imagine that they were in one of the pictures and then had to use their senses to record what they saw, felt, heard, tasted, and felt.
All the Places
After practicing this as a class, each student chose an illustration from a favourite book. The students once again imagined that they were in the illustration. I think the results are quite magical! The students took their writing and illustrations and made this VoiceThread to share with you.

You can leave us comments on our writing by clicking on “comment” on the VoiceThread. We hope you enjoy our writing!

3 thoughts on “You’re in the Picture

1. Dear Mrs Watson and Grade 2/3/4s
    I love the way you imagined yourself in an illustration of a favourite book. Your writing certainly includes some powerful imagery – you have really been able to put yourselves in the moment to describe the sensations you are experiencing.
    My Year 2/3s are also working on ‘Moment of Time’ writing this term, so we’ll be using your Voicethread as another resource in our class!

Do you think the writing would work as well if you imagined yourself in a movie scene? Which movie would you choose to be in?

warm regards
    Mrs McKenzie from B4, New Zealand

• Dear Mrs.Mckenzie,
      Thank you for leaving a comment. I also would choose to be in The Little Princess a favourite movie that I liked when I was younger.

From Merissa

2. Hello Mrs Watson and Grade 2/3/4s,

I am sorry I have been mostly offline for some time. The beginning of a year is normally a slow time for me but this year was different. I am now trying to catch up on as many school posts as possible.

I am very impressed not only with your descriptive writing but also with the quality of your reading. Descriptive writing should be read with expression and you have all achieved this. As I listened, I realised you were including what your senses were noticing. We learn about the world through our senses of hearing, taste, touch, smell and sight. Good descriptive writing shares our impressions (ideas) from our senses. 🙂

Each week I am involved with writing schemes where I write comments for children in a number of countries. Your writing would have impressed me had I visited your writing. Well done!

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia