Ted Harrison Inspired Paintings

On Friday, we revisited one of our favourite Canadian artists, Ted Harrison. Last year we used tissue and black paper silhouettes to make our pictures. This year we tried painting with tempera paints. We looked at several of his paintings online and in the books we have in our library. We talked about how he uses line and colour. We knew that all the work we have done with mixing tints and shades would really come in handy!

Have you seen any of Ted Harrison’s books or paintings before?

Do you have a favourite?

17 thoughts on “Ted Harrison Inspired Paintings

1. Another beautiful collection of work. I have to put my hand up and say the ‘pink mountain’ picture is my favourite … what a delight! however all the work was once again inspiring. I couldn’t decide whetherI’d like to have the images printed on t-shirts or painted onto pottery. I am more convinced than ever that art is THE subject in your class. I am the Headteacher (Principal) in my little school and so I don’t have my own class to teach, but from time to time I work with everyone. I hope I get the chance to use some of your ideas in my school. However you can’t just ‘do the lesson’, I see some really valuable skills being developed.
    I hadn’t heard of Ted Harrison, but I am going to look him up.
    I like the art work, in children’s books of Anthony Browne (voices in the park), Shaun Tan ….everything and Quentin Blake.
    Be proud of your work you set high standards.

Mr E
    Hawes CP School
    England

• Dear Dillon,
      Thank you so much for leaving us a comment! I read my first Diary of a Wimpy Kid book this summer and I really enjoyed it. I can see why you would pick it as your favourite. I have a very hard time picking a favourite book…I love so many. I guess one of my very favourites is the Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch.

Your friend,
      Mrs. W

2. Dear Mrs.Watson,
    I just love that painting video you guys are so wonderful,and,amazing,creative. You guys are good blog buddies.I have never seen any of Ted Harrison paintings in my whole life. No I don’t have a favorite because all of them are good.

Your Friend,
    Adrianna Leverette

• Dear Adrianna,
      Thanks so much for looking at our latest post and leaving such a nice comment. We love being blogging buddies with your class too! I really like all Ted Harrison’s paintings too. I wish I could have one hanging in my house. Do you have a favourite artist? I also really love Monet.

Your friend,
      Mrs. W

3. Dear Mrs.Watson,
    I’ve never seen any of Ted Harison’s paintings in till I went to the site you had on your note. My favorite is the one with a bunch of people in front of a house.
    From,
    Brooklynn
    Techie Kids

• Dear Brooklynn,
      Thank you so much for leaving us a comment. My oldest daughter is named Brooklynn, and so I smiled when I saw your comment. I really like the picture you chose too. Ted Harrison has been one of my favourite artists for a long time.

Your friend,
      Mrs. W

4. Dear Mrs Watson and 2/3s
    I have just spent some time looking at Ted harrison paintings.It is interesting to see how he keeps to a similar colour palette when he paints, and his use of line really seems to draw the viewer into the picture. I certainly like his style of art.

I think that the art works you have done in class capture the spirit of his work!
    You are becoming very talented young artists, and exploring the style of other artists helps you to discover your own style.

As always, I look forward to the next art session. Wish I was there!

your friend
    Mrs M♔Kenzie

5. Dear Mrs. Watson and the 2/3’s,

Thank you for sharing your lovely artwork with us! Your practice with mixing tints and shades really paid off! Your colors are so vivid. They definitely had the feel of Ted Harrison’s work.

I had not heard of Mr. Harrison before. We truly enjoyed checking out his website. He uses such an interesting technique. I can see why his paintings would be popular with your students. They are so colorful and bright! Harrison captures the multi-colored beauty of the sky. I really liked the eighth picture on the first page. The snow falling from the sky made me think of a quiet evening. The person being pulled by a dog on a sled looked exciting. What a fun way to travel! Have any of you used a dog sled? I also noticed that many of the Serigraphs showed snow on the ground. How often do you have snow in your area?

Your friend,
    Mrs. Moore

6. Dear Mrs. Watson’s class,

I have never saw one of Ted Harrison’s paintings. All of your pictures you made make me want to see one. I love all of the detail that you put in your paintings. I wish that I could paint that well in second and third grade. You must of put a lot of hard work in those fantastic paintings. I really enjoyed seeing all of your paintings.

Your friend,
    Aleah

7. Dear Mrs. Watson’s Class

I have never seen one of Ted Harrison’s paintings, but what your what your class drew it makes me want to! At that age I really wish that I could draw like that because I couldn’t. I hope you draw again so I can see more paintings!

Your Blogging Buddy,
    Madeline from Techie Kids

8. Dear Mrs. Watson,
    I loved the movie. I was wondering who was making that beautiful tornado picture? Write me back who did the picture.
    Your friend,
    Selena
    Techie Kids

9. Dear Mrs. W,
    thanks for answering us!
    I think it’s very cool that your daughter’s name is Brooklynn. I’ve never met someone named Brooklynn.
    I also like Claude Monet. He is my favorite.

Sincerely,
    Adrianna and Brooklynn
    Techie Kids

10. Hi there I am a teacher at a primary school in London and want to try out some Ted Harrison style landscape paintings as a cross curricular link with our project on rivers. Could you please tell me how I can view your children’s work and video. Many thanks, Jackie

11. Hello Jackie,
    Thank you so much for visiting our blog and leaving a comment. Ted Harrison landscapes are one of my favourite art projects. We have done them with paint and layered strips of tissue paper on different occasions. To see the video you should just have to click the play button on the Animoto video (it may take a little time to load).

Good luck 🙂
    Mrs. W