A Fashion Show and A Scary Tale

On Wednesday, Mr Child and his family visited our school for the day. My. Child is the District Principal of First Nations Programs. He brought along his 3 daughters and their Ada (grandmother). It is always wonderful when Mr. Child comes to visit and this visit was no different!

We starting the morning in the gym looking at the amazing treasures Mr. Child brought to share with us and then Mr. Child invited us to try on the regalia. This was a very special treat! When we were all dressed we put on our own fashion show while Mr. Child described the different pieces we were modelling.

Before we went out for recess we had time for a quick song and dance. Lorren got to help sing the song!

After recess Mr. Child visited our class and retold a Kwakiutl legend about Tsigis the Monster of the Deep. This story was originally told by Chief James Wallas. We all got to play parts in the story!

What a great day!

Linden-When we were in the gym with Mr. Child it was really fun trying on all the regalia and dancing.
Sharon-I thought it was really nice that Kaleb brought some of his family.
Riley-My favourite part was when we got to act out the story. NOw I know I why I have one foot bigger than the other. I loved trying on the apron I was wearing and I would love to have one. I would also like a button blanket.
Bronwen-I thought that when we did all the acting it was really funny. I thought Jorja was a great sea monster. She was really funny.
Jorja-My favourite part was when we did the dancing and tried on the regalia. I tried on a yellow blanket. Kaleb’s great grandma made it I think. I like when Kaleb went around asking our names and we had to reply in Kwakwala.
May-I think the play was really funny because all the people who weren’t in the beginning got barfed up at the end.
Lorren-My favourite part was dancing and singing. I got to sing and that’s what made it so fun.
Merissa-I liked it when we got to do the dance. I also liked it when we got to act out the story.
Randi-I liked dancing. I liked acting out the story. I have my own button blanket. I have a tree on my button blanket. I also have my own apron.
Melliah-I loved trying the apron and headband on.
Brooklynn-I liked how we got to try on the regalia and then we had a little fashion show.

One thought on “A Fashion Show and A Scary Tale

1. Hello Mrs. Watson and K/1/2/3/4,

I can see this was an amazing experience. A visit from a First Nation member reminds us how rich the culture of native peoples is. Many times when I was teaching I arranged visits from different Aboriginal cultures. The local people of my area are the Yuin. Their language and culture is alive and elders try to pass on their knowledge to the young. Unfortunately, a number of first Australian cultures have been lost since European settlement but those that survived are trying to preserve the knowledge and language of their people. The world is much richer for the many cultures it has.

I read all of your comments and found them fascinating. I can see both the regalia and the Kwakiutl legend about Tsigis the Monster of the Deep. I must say I thought it funny to think of all the people not in the beginning of the play were barfed up. 🙂

Ross Mannell
    Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia